The Cockey House, built ca. 1870, was originally owned by Charles B. Downes. An 1877 map identifies it as the parsonage for the First Methodist Protestant Church, which rented it until a new parsonage was built next to the church. [See Site 20.] Miss Mary Cockey, an elementary school teacher, and her father, James Cockey, assistant postmaster in Stevensville, bought the house in the early 1900’s. She used it as the local library for many years, had an addition built on the west side, and enlarged the front porch.