Built about 1860 for J. Reuben Jeffers on the original Broad Creek tract, the 1877 map shows a boarding house rented to Alexander Lowery of Coxe’s Neck. He later bought the property and opened it as a hotel in November 1883. Alterations were made to meet the needs of overnight travelers coming from the Matapeake, Broad Creek and Love Point ferry landings. A livery stable provided transportation. Meals were 25 cents. After Alexander’s wife, Mrs. Lowery, died, Fountain and Florence Lowery Jackson continued the business for some time. It remained in the Lowery family until their heirs sold it in 1935.